Reboot. Recharge.

When all else fails, just shut it down for 5 seconds and turn it back on. Just like new!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The end is near

Well, finally, after 6 long months, I get to move to my new cubicle at work. I never thought I would get so excited over a 6 X 6 work space, but I am!
I have had to sepnd the past 6 months sitting in an office with a woman that I cannot stand. A woman who does everything loud, not taking in account that there is another person in the room. A woman who sits at her desk and eats WHOLE cucumbers. Thats right, whole cucumbers. Not slices or cubes, but crunchy, loud bites right off the cuke. UGH!
Tomorrow, I get to sit in my brand new (used) cube.
Did you know that the word cubicle comes from the latin word for Bed Chamber? That's right. According to Wikipedia, "The term cubicle comes from the Latin cubiculum, for bed chamber. It was used in English as early as the 15th century. It eventually came to be used for small chambers of all sorts, and for small rooms or study spaces with partitions which do not reach to the ceiling." I wish my cube could fit a bed, I'll tell you, I'd probably be alot more productive.
We have designer Richard Propst to thank for the cubicle. He designed the cube as we know it, a modular unit with an open plan, called the Action Office, in 1965. The Action Office was not efficient at using office space and so it eventually was morphed into the cubicle as we know it today.
Hey, its not really so bad, working in a cube. It actually affords you more privacy than you think it might. I like to personalize my work area, putting up lots of pictures and jokes etc. It is what keeps me sane. We are not allowed to have plants in my office, but if we were, I probably would keep a plant or 2 at my cube. The top drawer of my 2 drawer file "cabinet" at my cube is dedicated to candy. I am the keeper of the candy drawer. People come by on a regular basis to sample what ever is in the drawer. Some people actually add to it, others do not. Its another thing to keep myself, and others sane.
Well, I'm looking forward to my pending move tomorrow. Now, if they'd just give me some work to do, I'd be all set....

1 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger anne altman said...

whole cucumbers? what's wrong with that twat?!?! are they at least "shaved?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home