Reboot. Recharge.

When all else fails, just shut it down for 5 seconds and turn it back on. Just like new!

Friday, September 15, 2006

Stuff It

Eggplant, that is.
So, I mentioned before that I have started Weight Watchers. While I'm doing it to drop the last few pounds of lingering baby fat, I'm doing it more to get my portions in order.
Here's a dinner I made for myself.

Stuffed Eggplant
I happened to have this variety from my CSA, I believe its called the Fairy Tale variety.

















It is light purple and streaked with white, medium sized and a bit thinner than your big, dark purple Aubergine.
You could use any variety really.








Anyways, I started with 2 medium eggplants, halved them, and scooped out the flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch of flesh to make a sturdy "boat" like shell.

This is the first time I have ever used Pam cooking spray. I usually use olive oil. Just one of the adjustments I need to make. Instead of cooking in the olive oil, I will use it as a finishing touch.
You are supposed to have at least 2 servings of oil a day to keep up with Vitamin E production, etc.

I sauteed the eggplant w/ S+P for a bit to brown it, then added chopped onion and minced garlic, and cooked that down.
I had some cooked bulgar wheat, which I added in, along with some crumbled feta and chopped fresh basil.
When the stuffing was done cooking, I stirred in 2 tsps of extra virgin olive oil and adjusted the seasoning with S+P.
I then filled the eggplant shells and baked them for about 20-30 minutes.
It was great, and relatively low on the "points".
Weight Watchers does everything on points. Based on the Total calories, grams of fat and grams of dietary fiber, you can come up with a point value for any food. Foods higher in dietary fiber and lower in fat have a lower point value.
Veggies are virtually all 0, except some which have a higher sugar content. Fruits are usually 1 or 2 points, again, based on sugar content.
Based on 1 cup measurements, here is the breakdown for the stuffed eggplants.
Cooked Eggplant = 0 points
Cooked onion = 1 point
Cooked garlic = 0 points
Bulgar wheat = 2 points
Feta = 3 points for 1/4 cup
Basil = 0 points
Olive oil = 1 point per tsp
I used about 2 cups of the Bulgar, so when it was all said and done, split between the 4 eggplants, it was like 3 points per eggplant. I had a half of an eggplant.
And, it was very yummy.
You could really do this with Zukes and Squash as well. You can also mix up the grain you put in, using brown rice, barley, millet etc.

After 3 days of counting points, etc, I have to say I feel great. Its been an adjustment with my portions etc, but I generally eat healthy foods, so content has not been an issue.
Well, the true test will be next Tuesday when I have to get on the scale again.....I'll report back about it then.

1 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Those eggplants are pretty, but I think they're yucky.

I'm a WW too, started up my points again today, after all, it is Monday!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home