Reboot. Recharge.

When all else fails, just shut it down for 5 seconds and turn it back on. Just like new!

Monday, May 21, 2007

Hello from Edinburgh.

I wanted to write about the amazing food I have been eating over the past 24 hours (it feels like it's been 5 days).
First off, my meal last night in business class - it was VERY GOOD.
It started with the glass of champagne as you board; the champagne was Pommery Brut Champagne. Here is the description from the menu:

Chardonnay and Pinot Noir vines, manicured in the Pommery classic vineyards, yield small grape clusters packed with rich flavor-making wines which are blended from several vintages to perpetuate the famous Pommery "house" style. The result is a dry, white sparkling wine of crisp tartness and savory toasty-apple bouquet.
That description is dead on. It was delicious (even if it was served in a little plastic cup)...

Next came the wine. I had a white, Sileni Estates Hawkes Bay New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
I have been drinking Sauvignon Blanc lately, and have been digging it's assertiveness.
This wine was no wallflower. It was crisp and tangy with a wallop of a finish reminiscent of pine.
The description in the menu said the wine was "bursting with fresh gooseberry-tropical flavors".

A little dish of warm, mixed nuts accompanied the wine, and the appetizer and salad followed shortly. The appetizer was coppa ham and fresh mozzerella cheese topped with what I'll describe as a tomato jelly. The salad was mixed greens with sun-dried tomotoes, cucumbers and artichoke hearts. I dressed it with balsamic vineagrette.
For my meal, I chose the Shrimp and Scallops with Tomato Risotto. It was out of this world and came with a creamy goat cheese sauce on top of it. My one complaint is that the risotto was not "al dente" enough, and that is probably the result of it sitting around waiting to be served. However, it was so delicious, that I did not care.

Unfortunately, I conked out before the dessert came, and woke up 3.5 hours later to some crazy turbulance, and the pilot saying, we are going to climb to 40,000 feet to see if it's better up there....it wasn't.....

Today in Edinburgh, on what is called the Royal Mile, the historic part of town, I had a wonderful lunch at a place called Maxie' Bistro. I think it suffered from identity crisis, as it wanted to be a bistro, but offered food that I wouldn't classify as bistro food, like the Veggie Enchilada with guacamole I had for lunch. It was really great - the tortilla had a pleasing texture, and the veggies inside were perfectly cooked: spinach, sweet peppers, corgettes (otherwise known as zuchini), and green beans. There was the slightest bit of cheese melted inside, and a mildly spicy sauce draped over the middle portion of the enchilada. It really hit the spot.

So, now, I sit and wait to eat dinner at a place called The Shore. It is located in the section called Leith, right on the water. I ate there on my last visit here, and I am looking forward to eating there again.
I'll report in again, describing my dinner and telling you why this is the greatest place to eat snacks....

1 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Blogger bbb said...

You are in Scotland?? You should have let me know I would have flown over to see you.!! I may be headed there the end of July for the British Open.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home