Reboot. Recharge.

When all else fails, just shut it down for 5 seconds and turn it back on. Just like new!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Gomez in Paradise

Gomez at the Paradise, 06/20/06

We took in the Gomez show last night at the Paradise, Boston, Ma. I really love the room at the Paradise; recent renovations and the fact that there is no smoking allowed, have made it a great room to see a show. We stood stage left, a level off the floor, where I was able to stand on bench style seating, and have a great view of the stage.

Gomez played for about 2 hrs when it was all said and done. The set list was heavy on the newer songs from their album, How We Operate, and included songs from most of their other albums.
Honestly, I was a bit disappointed in the song selection, as they did not throw in any songs that I had not already heard them play (other than the brand new songs). I was expecting them to play at least one not before played “older” tunes. I was also disappointed that they did not play more songs off of Split the Difference, such as We don’t Know Where We’re Going, which highlights drummer Olly Peacock's driving drums.

I was NOT disappointed, however, in the way that Gomez played the songs that they chose to play. I think after every Gomez show, I come out of there saying “best I’ve seen them play” and I’ll say it again about last night. They played very tight and clean, despite some technical difficulties, and had some interesting jams; I thought they played with a maturity that I had not seen before. As usual, they switched up instruments, with everyone (short of Olly) going in between acoustic guitar and electric guitar and/or bass; both Ian and Tom took turns on the keys; Tom also played a melodica (a mouth piano) on a bunch of tunes.

The highlight of the night was an extended version of the title cut from their new album, How We Operate, which included an intense, loud, intricate jam to end the song. Other high points: A beautifully harmonized Sound of Sounds, a rocking Devil Will Ride to close the set and a hauntingly moving version of their new song Chasing Ghosts with Alcohol to open the encore, complete with a perfectly executed slide guitar.
If you have the chance to check out Gomez, please do. You will not be disappointed.

Gomez, Paradise Rock Club, Boston, Ma 06/20/06
1 set:
Bring It On
Shot Shot
All Too Much
Love is Better than a Warm Trombone
Nothing is Wrong
Ping One Down
Notice
Sound of Sounds
How We Operate
Ruff Stuff
Hamoa Beach
girlshapedlovedrug
Free to Run
Fill my Cup
Devil Will Ride

Encore:
Chasing Ghosts with Alcohol
Make No Sound
Detroit Swing 66
Whipping Picadilly

3 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger March2theSea said...

that was a good read..thanks. I have 1 or 2 Gomez cds but never have been wow'd by em..your post has me heading to the collection now for a re-spin.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger anne altman said...

erin said they rocked at bonnarooooooooooooooooooooooo

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger whipcreamy said...

yes...anne told me that you wrote about them so i had to read. i really wanted to see them at the paradise, but i had just returned from bonnaroo and was still sleeping, but they BLEW ME AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was the type of band where you go not knowing what to expect and you end up jumping up and down for two hours not realizing that you've got ten pounds of butt butter between your legs. gomez= my new fav band tied with my morning jacket

 

Post a Comment

<< Home